PERFECT HOME?

Both my ex-husband and I were not even 30 yet but we led the life of a typical 35+ corporate couple. We rented a nice expensive apartment in the centre of a "respectable", quiet town with no nightlife. We discussed business class tickets of different airlines and house mortgages with his work friends. We surrounded ourselves with "nice" things which were unjustifiably expensive because we needed "to look the part". We spent every Christmas with his family in a three-storied house most of which was used as a storage.

I come from a far-away small Russian town. My family led a simple life where we tried to save on buying stuff and spend more on education and new experiences. Our apartment only had two rooms: a bedroom/study for my sister and me and a living room/study/bedroom for my mum. And so I never really felt comfortable with the lifestyle of my ex-husband. I felt it was too pretentious, it was focused on the exterior and impression we make rather than the soul. 

The scariest thing for me was to realize that I started to get attached to it: to posh clothes and furniture, to living in the centre because when I mentioned my address people were impressed, and other stuff that means nothing when it comes to the last day of my life. 

Why did I not tell all this to him? I guess I always felt that he, coming from Britain, knows better about life and how things should be than me, coming from my small far-away town. 



Does the story of the Runaway Wife inspire you? 
Support me in helping more people in their run for inner freedom - DONATE TODAY



No comments:

Post a Comment